Sunday, June 3, 2007

mud thud

greetings and salutations,

king neptune has been very patient with us as we are about to cross the equator
again. most of us pollywogs (those not experienced with a crossing ceremony) are
i sdue trouble with king neptune. we are slated to be lower than whale shit
slime balls for the transit back to phuket once our science is over. we will be
wearing our clothes inside out and do what ever a shellback (one in good
standing with king neptune) tells us to. i expect to get slimy, greasy, grungy,
and dirty. i will probably work very hard ond something(s). i hope i do not get
hurt (other than my very large pride). following this hardship, we each get to
entertain king neptune for 15 minutes. i hope i do a good job. the shellbacks
have been threatening to cut my beard and hair off. i am shuddering in my shoes.

science is going well. i have been getting to do some core logging. much like on
land cor eloggin. more detailed in some ways, less detialed and way less
rigorous than i am used to doing (thanks ken aalto for the preparation). i tried
to make some changes to the strat logging sheets, but i was not to be heard
(chris was surprised at this, so he and i will sit down after the cruise and
improve on their existing core log sheets)... mud is mud. getting my fingernails
dirty again is a good thing, albeit i am still short on sleep. i did get over 6
hrs last night, all one solid block of time. yippee.

luv you all, j-sun

1 comment:

Sandy Patton said...

Hi
I wrote a comment to the last one, when mizilla's foxfire quite, and I had to get going,so didn't get back to your blog till now.
I have been getting photos of you and the activity on the deck. The cone shaped aparatus is interesting. I am assuming that has something to do with the trip mechanism.... anyway I printed out pix of you all. I wish the photos had captions! It is helpful that the camera puts in the time. Usually you are busy doing something when I get up at 6am before I go to work. HOpe you get some rest as time goes on...
Also hope you are entertaining on your equator crossing! Good luck.
Love, Mom and Matt