Friday, June 22, 2007

back in town

Greetings all, pad eye kup

 

I arrived last night after ~30 hrs in airport terminals and planes. I like incheon int’l airport (seoul) and most dislike seattle (verrry poorly designed, hope they tear it down sometime soon, it is aging and there are three separate underground trains one needs navigate that are poorly labeled). Both of denver’s airports are even better than seattle’s. Korean airlines is the best ever. Service is par excellance and the food is the best I have ever had on a plane. I only hope they expand their American airport destinations!

 

I had a great time in phuket! Played it low key walking on the beach and sleeping. I have some cool shells and carbonate beach sand. Ate great food. Phuket is not much cheaper than Oregon (perhaps because it is catered to rich germans and Americans on holiday). The first place I stayed at was the cape panwa resport. Very POSH at over 3,000 baht a night, with a buffet breakfast and a room large enough for two thai families (based on what I observed when walking around neighborhoods later in my trip). Disparity! Second place was at Ao Bangtao Lagoon Bungalos. The room was 1300 Baht (plus 10% and 7%) ~1500 = 45 bucks. This was 50% the peak rate! I could have rented a tent, but I wanted a bed. Meals were 150 Baht ($4.50) at the hotel and 300-400 B ($9-12) at the great local Indian restaurant. Next time I go to Thailand, I will stay away from the tourist areas. I had reasonable luck communicating in phuket (with my dictionary that had thai script that I could point to if I could not pronounce the word, verrry important). If I stray from there, it may be more of a challenge (but I feel comfortable enough that I am sure I could do it).

 

I will post some pics soon and more summaries. I do still like coffee. As of now, I am cleaning my house that was left in disarray during my rapidly rushed departure. Following that I plan on attending my friends wedding (jay and sacha) in Humboldt county. Back next week for some debriefing.

 

Luv you all, krup koon kup

 

J R Patton

jpatton@coas.oregonstate.edu

541.753.0421    home

541.737.9622   office

707.498.4290  mobile

http://oregonstate.edu/pattonj

P.O. Box 392

Arcata, CA  95518

 

 

No comments: