Tuesday, June 12, 2007

last core on its way up

greetings and salutations

our last core is 15 minutes from being on deck, a multi core. we recovered our
last piston core just before that.

last night was the wog entertainment ceremony. (wogs, pollywogs, are single
celled organisms who have yet to be welcomed into the world of king neptune;
shellbacks were once wogs, but king neptune has accepted them as worthy; i will
detila this later)

today, begining at 6am, after 4+1 hrs sleep, we began our initiation ceremony.
we wore our clothes inside out. we had to walk backwards everytime we were in
the presence of a shellback. we had to do whatever a shellback said. (sort of
like hazing, but not that bad). we did some things like measure the ship with a
1/2 hot dog (i counted while my wog partner held the hot dog). we were then
brought before king neptune and his court to stand before for our charges. i
plead guilty. i was a special case (i did some really bad things). so they
really gave it to me. they pretended to cut my hair off. they pretended to
electrocute me. they oured goop all over me and made me swim through kitchen
wast (historically, wogs 'swam' through the innards of wales and out their
anus). this ceremony goes back centuries and i got a really cool certificate
(and a laminated card i will carry with me whenever i go on a ship that will
cross the border, so i do not need to go through this again). the certificate is
cooler than all of my different diplomas combined. i still smell like kitchen
waste. i need a second shower. eughghhgh...

more later. gotta go give coordinates to the bridge. we are goin home! 36 hrs
form now, the ship should be unloaded.

luv jay

2 comments:

Sandy Patton said...

Yuk! Take another shower!!
Can't believe the time is up, and you are doing the last core.
Get some rest! I know you don't want to miss a minute... but rest so you can savor the last moments.
Love,
Mom and Matt

BrianR said...

jay...

just came across your blog...i'm a sedimentologist studying turbidites for my PhD...I mostly look at ancient but some modern too (offshore southern CA).
http://bromans.blogspot.com/

keep posting!